Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Phở

It was another cold, wet and windy day in Toronto and I thought some hearty phở soup would fit the bill for lunch.  I didn't actually know what exactly what pho was, but I'd seen it on lots of menus and knew it was a form of Asian noodle soup.  I did a little research looking for local best bets, and also found out that this Vietnamese dish is pronounced more like "fuh" than "fo".

I didn't find one of the top restaurant choices nearby, so I hoped in the elevator and planning to walk East along Dundas Street toward Chinatown until I found a spot that looked good and I could read the menu.

There are a few other people behind me in the elevator and I overheard one the ladies say she knows a great pho place and she heard from someone its wasn't pronounced "fuh" but "fo".  I didn't get in a debate about the pronunciation, but I did ask her the name of the restaurant - Asian Bowl on Yonge opposite the Eaton Centre Roots store.  I ordered the beef pho and a veggie spring roll - lovely stuff; very rich soup broth and tender beef and all for a decent price.

2 comments:

Feddy said...

I had Pho soup today as well - coincidence? BTW I get it in the Yonge/Eglinton food court at Lemongrass...

PJMixer said...

Haven't tried Lemongrass yet, although I love the lemongrass noodle soup I get at the Sheraton Centre food court.