Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mysterious noises

When I got home from my late night ultimate game last night (this morning), I went downstairs for a snack and to wind down.  I noticed a high pitched buzzing went I entered the family room and then tried to find the remote to watch a little TV.  Our universal remote was not in its usual spot and its screen was blank - the (rechargeable) batteries were run down.  So I fished around for various remotes and did a manual power on for a few components.  I grabbed the universal remote as I wanted to recharge its batteries, but the buzzing noise was getting very annoying so I started to walk around trying to isolate the mysterious sound.  The noise sounded a little like one of the pot lights ready to blow.  But no, that wasn't it.  I wandered over to the downstairs bathroom and the noise seemed to be a little louder.  I opened the utility closet door in the bathroom and thought the sound was coming from the natural gas pipe.  I walked back into the family room and also checked the gas fireplace, the noise was there too.  I checked in the furnace room and the noise was there too.  But I still couldn't isolate it.  I put the remote down and did another check, but the mystery continued.  A went back to the family room and went over to the TV and audio components and bent down a little to see if I could hear any better.  Sure enough, the noise was coming from the universal remote, the batteries were run down enough so they couldn't power the screen, but apparently not enough to cause the remote to emit an annoying high pitched buzzing sound.

So I get back to my TV show, last week's episode of Fringe.  The mystery involves some metamorphic, mutated humans and the agents track down a lead to a small town called Edina.  When the arrive in Edina, all the agents hear a weird humming sound.  I won't spoil the source of the humming, but I thought the coincidence was comical considering my earlier adventure and the look on Walter's face.

No comments: